Overpopulation Solutions 101
Have you ever heard of the Georgia Guidestones? It’s a granite monument in Georgia that dates back to 1979. An unknown person or persons under the pseudonym R. C. Christian hired Elberton Granite Finishing Company to build the structure. The structure contains a message with a set of 10 guidelines translated in 8 different languages.
- Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
- Guide reproduction wisely — improving fitness and diversity.
- Unite humanity with a living new language.
- Rule passion — faith — tradition — and all things with tempered reason.
- Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
- Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
- Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
- Balance personal rights with social duties.
- Prize truth — beauty — love — seeking harmony with the infinite.
- Be not a cancer on the earth — Leave room for nature — Leave room for nature.
Inspiring and troubling don’t you think? There are more theories surrounding the Georgia Guidestones than there are surrounding the death of Bruce Lee. What I would like to talk about today is number 1, perhaps the most troubling. Keep the population of the Earth under half a billion.
Nearly 7 billion people are on this Earth. We are overcrowded. No one is disputing that. Resources like food and water are scarce. 25,000 people die of hunger and thirst every day. That’s nearly 1 million people a year- the equivalent of every man woman and child in the city of San Francisco, CA.
If those figures don’t paint the picture I don’t know what will. China has long been fighting to find overpopulation solutions without much success. This is a worldwide problem.
So how do we find overpopulation solutions?
A solution that I think should be discussed is to immediately stop people from having kids they can’t afford to take care of. That’s a given. With so many people dieing of hunger each day it’s simply ridiculous to let people who can’t support their children reproduce like rabbits.
Just like you apply for a license to prove your able to drive safely, and just like you apply for a marriage license to get married we should have to apply for a license to have a child. That simple!
The devil may be in the details but I believe it wont be much of a problem to ensure people are temporarily sterilized at birth and later allowed to have a child when financially responsible and in a stable relationship. 2 children per family. That would allow us to maintain the current population.
A lot of people may feel troubled by it but the issue is real. I don’t think it would be a stretch to implement the aforementioned policies since driving and getting married are privileges. Why should having a child not a privilege as well? It is in fact one of the most life changing and important events of ones life.
Whats your overpopulation solutions?